Request for Return Authorization
Sorry you are having troubles! We don't get many returns, but every once in
a while a mom will have anatomy that just doesn't work as well with our
products as most. We understand that can happen and feel it would be un-
cool not to give her all of her money back including what it cost to get the
products to her. We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to
troubleshoot what is going on that is causing challenges with the use of our
products. Please read through the FAQ section below. Usually it is just a tip or two about how to get the most from the
products that can completely change for the better the effectiveness and
comfort for mom. Each mom is different and we know that we have not made the
perfect pumping shield...yet.....But with your input as to what you think is
happening we can hopefully help you now and also learn how we can improve
for our future customers.
Pumpin' Pal Frequently Asked Questions
- Q I just tried the Super Shields and it takes longer to get as much milk, what's wrong?
- Q Do they work with my pump that has REMOVABLE shields?
- Q Which size of Super Shields should I get?
- Q Why do I need to buy the whole set?
- Q If I know the size of a standard shield that fits me, how does that compare to the Super Shields?
- Q Can I sterilize the Super Shields?
- Q If everything is okay with my pumping now, should I buy Super Shields?
- Q How do I know if I should go with a bigger size?
- Q Which size do I try first?
- Q Why do they pop off when I massage like I do when using the regular shields?
- Q Why is the hands-free thing so funky?
- Q Does it really work?
- Q How long does it take to get use to the hands free?
- Q I’m worried that the necklace is not big enough for me, what can I do?
- Q What if I try your products and they don’t work for me?
- Q Which size of Super Shields should I get?
- A. It is difficult for a mom to guess which size will work best for her. Our shields work completely different than standard shields. Super Shields are tapered and so, along with size of breast and nipple, a lot depends on the elasticity of a mom’s tissue which is hard to measure. We have moms that use all 3 sizes at different times of the day.....we have moms that have changed from one size to the next to the next as their body changes over time after delivery.....we have moms that can only use one size. The reason we suggest all three sizes is so you have what you need when you need it. Many moms have traded off the size they aren’t using one day and find they need it the next. We would make more revenue promoting them separately (like most pump companies do) so we aren’t trying to up sell our customers, just trying to look out for them.
- Q. Why do I need to buy the whole set?
- A. Most moms can use two of the three sizes, but we don't know which two those are until you try them, so we give you all three for the price of two.
- Q. If I know the size of a standard shield that fits me, how does that compare to the Super Shields?
- A. Standard flanges are designed to fit the nipple. They are designed to pull on the nipple and stretch it until milk comes out. Our Super Shields allow considerably more tissue to be involved in the process (much like your baby does, he/she does not just pull on the nipple until milk flows). There is very little correlation between the size of standard shield you use and ours when it comes to fitting. Please read the answer to the previous questions.
- Q.Can I sterilize the Super Shields?
- A. Yes. The Pumpin' Pal Super Shields are made of BPA-free medical grade polypropylene and can be boiled and steamed. Normally, cleaning with warm soapy water should be sufficient between pumps.
- Q. I just tried the Super Shields and I'm not getting as much milk as before, what's wrong?
- A. It may be time to replace your worn out pump membranes or valves. The Super Shields move much more breast tissue than the old fashioned style flanges that just tug on the nipple. Moving all that tissue requires that the pump be working at full capacity, unlike the small amount of suction needed just to pull the nipple a little. This is what makes the Super Shields more comfortable and more effective at stimulating the breast. We suggest you replace the membranes every other month or whenever you see a decrease in pump performance.
Letdown - Your body and mind control your "letdown", or release of your milk. Certain sensations become associated with letdown, and in order to limit when the milk is released, your body will only release your milk when these sensations occur. Your body can even equate the pain your old flanges cause as a trigger to letdown.
If you have tried the Pumpin' Pals and seem to be getting less output, try starting with your old flanges to trigger the letdown, then, as soon as the milk starts flowing, switch to the Pumpin' Pals to finish your session. After a few times doing this, your body will start to associate the new feeling of the Pumpin' Pals with feeding time, and your letdown should occur without the need of the old flanges.
- Q. Do they work with my pump that has REMOVABLE shields?
- A. Absolutely! Although they were designed to go “shield into shield”, they work superbly as a replacement for brands that have interchangeable shields.
- Q. If everything is okay with my pumping now, should I buy Super Shields?
- A. Comfortable and effective pumping is the goal. If you are emptying your breasts fully in a time frame that is satisfactory and you are experiencing little discomfort, then our shields are not going to take you to some euphoric place. If you have room to improve then try our stuff, if you don’t then save your money. At the very least, you will be able to sit upright or even lean back a little.
- Q. How do I know if I should go with a bigger size?
- A. Everything about pumping is experimental for a mom. We sell the sets so you can try them all. Only you will know which size works better, feels better, produces more. If you go into this (the pumping experience) with an open mind about everything and pay attention to what is happening, what you are feeling, how much output you are getting with how long of duration and at what pump setting, then you will quickly get dialed in and your discomfort will decrease, your stress will decrease, and your output will go up. Ask any successful long term ‘pumper’.....it’s all about you.
- Q. Which size do I try first?
- A. Doesn’t really matter since you will be trying them all. We have had moms that are sure they will use an extra large sometimes end up using the mediums, and vice-versa.
- Q. Why do they pop off when I massage like I do when using the regular shields?
- A. Since our shields are not pulling just your nipple halfway down (if not all the way down) into the abyss of the pump, there is less surface connection being made between the tissue and the Super Shield. The shields can disconnect from your breasts if you are massaging at the same time you are pumping. Hopefully, once your brain has told your breasts to release the milk it they storing then you won’t have to hand massage the same way or to the extent you did when you were using the less comfortable, nipple pulling design of the standard shields.
- Q. Why is the hands-free thing so funky?
- A. We know it’s a funky, stringy gizmo, but it works and it is much less cost to make then a pretty one. Its job is to vertically support the bottles that are hanging from your neck and it does that perfectly. It does not supply inward pressure so if you want to vacuum or drive a car or do something that has you moving around then you might not be totally happy with our design. If you want to be able to drop your arms down and rest them, or maybe type on the computer, or look at your iphone. then this funky little gizmo is perfect. We have sold thousands and thousands of them to happy moms. If you do want to move around then we recommend a Simple Wishes Hands free bra. We even include a coupon for a discount for one in all of our orders. We want you have what you need and so we are happy to promote their product as we know they are happy to promote ours.
- Q. Does it really work?
- A. It is very easy to use our strap (especially in the middle of the night or at work with limited time) because there is nothing that goes around your back. The necklace is placed around your neck only so you don’t have to remove any clothes to use it. Remember, its job is to vertically hold the bottles and so there is no inward pressure on your breasts like there would be with a necklace that went around your back. It does take a minute or so for the suction to kick in enough for you to let go but that is the same amount of time you would be spending taking off your shirt and bra if you were using a strap with inward pressure. Having both is ideal.
- Q. How long does it take to get use to the hands free?
- A. Once you get it set up to your width and the proper length then it is only a matter of a few sessions with it and you will be a pro.
- Q. I’m worried that the necklace is not big enough for me, what can I do?
- A. The flexible bar that is part of the necklace is added on for additional stability only, it is not necessary for use. We sold thousands before we added the bar. If flexible bar is not wide enough for you then you can slide the plastic parts right off the ends of the bar and discard it. Now there are no width restrictions. You may have to be a little more still then other moms that can keep the bar but the bottles will still be held up from falling and you will be able to pump hands free.
If the string is not long enough for you then drop us an email and we will send you a custom one with longer strings at no charge..
- Q. What if I try your products and they don’t work for me?
- A. That can happen. We know we haven’t designed the perfect “fits everyone” shield and we know that some moms who need that extra inward pressure won’t be happy with the strap. That is why we have a 100% money back guarantee. As long as you get the kit with everything or the set of all 3 sizes then we will credit your card the full amount including shipping. Other than a little invested time with trying them, you really have nothing to lose and so much to gain. Please give us a try; we will do everything we can to make pumping an experience you can live with.